Saturday, September 17, 2011

TomatoFare

     Today we went to the TomatoFare at the Cedarbrook Lodge in Seatac WA.  Because when you think of destinations resorts you automatically think of Seatac.  Well, not really, but the Cedarbrook Lodge in Seatac is just that.  It is a very classy, yet laid back resort with a definite Northwest feel.  Everything from the architechture to the grounds to the cuisine is all about the Pacific Northwest.





     The staff were also very nice and welcoming.  This is a place you might want to stay the next time you come to Seattle.

      So the star of today's event was of course the Heirloom Tomato and all of her juicy goodness.  First there was a table filled with all kinds of heirlooms that you could sample.  I was able to sample just about everyone of them.  I never knew that so many different tomatoes could taste so different from each other.  I think I need to start cooking with more heirlooms.



     About a half a dozen restaurants and wineries were represented at today's event.  I didn't do a very good job of keeping track of who made what, but here it goes. 

     My favorite was the Tomato Bavarian.  It is a layered parfait with pureed Parmesan on the bottom, the pureed tomato in the middle topped with pureed basil and candied olives. 


     There was the heirloom and watermelon salad with goat cheese and toasted pine nuts.  This was also a favorite of Kieko's.  I love savory and sweet together.

     I also enjoyed the tomato water jelly sample. 

     Tostadas!!!!!!

     Geoduc ceviche on crostini.  That's right geoduc (pronouned gooy-duck).
   
     The tomato gazpacho with an olive, goat cheese trifle was also delectable.

     And for dessert there was tomato sorbet.  There were two kinds:  A red heirloom tomato sorbet with basil, and a yellow heirloom tomato sorbet with mint.  The red was nice and savory with the basil and almost had a spiciness that made Kieko think it had some sort of chilies in them.  The yellow was nice and refreshing.  I had a couple of helpings of the sorbet.
    
     After several helpings of, well, everything, I was stuffed.  Who knew you could get that full from tomatoes.  Again, I think I need to start cooking with heirloom tomatoes.

     When we got home a nap became absolutely necessary.  After a shortish nap, OK, it was about an hour, and watching TV for a while we were once again a little hungry.  Yeah, apparently tomatoes don't stay with you for very long.  It was long enough I guess.  Kieko made some delicious miso soup with mushrooms, tofu, and udon noodles.  It was just the thing on a cold rainy night.  Yes, it's cold again.

     So I hope this gave you all a greater appreciation of tomatoes, especially the heirloom varieties.  I know I did.  I'm probably going to be dreaming of tomatoes tonight. 
    

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, I had no idea! Great post- I will be looking for heirloom tomatoes now... sorry about the cold! its cooling down here now- beautiful mornings...

    ReplyDelete