Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11


     Tonight I just wanted to share some thoughts regarding the 10th anniversary of 9/11/01.  I'm sure much has been shared, and probably more eloquently than I can share here.  However, I feel like I need to say something.

     I'm normally not that sentimental about anniversary's, I sometimes feel that some things should be left in the past and we need to move on.  I'm not saying we should forget but we can't be stuck in the past.  Having said that, the events of that day have indeed changed us as a nation forever.  Both in good ways and in bad.  I'm glad that we have been able to rebuild, that is an amazing accomplishment.  What is not good is that it has taken this long for it to happen.  We can thank our wonderful political parties for dragging things on and using this event to further political agenda's.  This aspect of 9/11 makes me sad. 

     I'll try to make make the rest of this rant more positive.  But I make no promises.

     I just got done watching a piece on 9/11 on CBS.  I know, it's pretty hard to avoid today but I figured why not.  So this piece was done by a couple of Firefighters in one particular engine house near the WTC.  This was started by a couple of the guys there about two months before the attacks.  They were documenting the the progress of a rookie firefighter when it all went down.  It this one engine that did not lose a single member that day.  The footage was real and quite amazing.  The one running the camera was in the lobby of the North Tower after the first plane hit.  The footage rolls even as the tower collapses on them.  It was truly amazing stuff.  Anyway, long story short, they all survive and of course have to live with the consequences of that.  Yes there were consequences.

     After the towers collapsed, they all made it back to the station and were all accounted for.  They had all been separated during the day.  Once they were all accounted for they went back to the site and started looking for survivors, which of course there were very few.  Of course, during this time they're breathing in that soup of lead, mercury, and asbestos.  You know, the stuff that the Bush Administration said was safe.  Yeah, I know, I'm getting negative again.  Well, to bad.  My blog, my emotions.  Anyway, this is the stuff that will end up killing more first responders than the actual attacks.  So when I hear Republicans and Democrats say "We will never forget", I kind of have to call Bulls*** on that.  We have forgotten.  We have forgotten those that went in there to save lives and came out seemingly unscathed, only to get sick and die years later.  They did what was right and now they are getting screwed.

     I guess my point with my rant (remember this is my blog so I will say whatever the hell I want) is that if you want to honor and remember those who were lost on that tragic day, stop listening to "talk radio" or the 24 hour cable "news" networks.  I'm looking at you Fox.  You to MSNBC and CNN.  Just inform.  I'm so glad I don't watch those guy.  A complete waste of time if you ask me.  They don't inform, they entertain.  So stop listening to those knuckleheads and live your life.  Help some one in need.  Bring flowers to you spouse or significant other.  Cook a great meal.  Don't take your friends for granted.  In other words, do what you already doing, don't let the 10th anniversary of this tragic event change.

     Thank you for your time and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment