Sunday, September 25, 2011

Mt. Adams, Sushi and more.

     Since summer is now officially over, we can expect the weather to start turning into the typical fall patterns of rain with sun breaks, followed by more rain.  However, since it has not started yet, we decided to take a trip to Mr. Adams.  This is a place that I have never been to so I was excited to go. 

     Let me start by saying that this is a bit of a drive.  It took about 3 to 3 1/2 hours to get there.  We had to take several small highways (Hwys. 7 and 12), and then on to the Forest Service roads (23 and 29).  But once we got there it was worth the drive.  We parked the car at the Tahkalak Lake campground and put up our America the Beautiful Pass, as this is land that is operated by the U.S. Forest Service.  We ate something and then started out hiking.  I was amazed that we were the only ones on the trail.  Had this been a National Park there would have been about 10,000 people on the trail.  It was so nice having the trail to ourselves.  I had forgotten about the whole purpose of hiking.  It was fun trying to stay on the trail as it disappeared several times. 


     One of the interesting things I learned on the trail is that there was a huge eruption of Mt. Adams a mere 3,500 years ago.  That is fairly recent in geologic terms, in fact it has just cooled.

     These rocks are from the lava flow that occurred some 3,500 years ago.  At first I couldn't figure out what all these rocks were doing here.  As I looked a more closely I could see that it was in fact volcanic rock.  We then came across the sign above and then it all made sense.

     At one point we were actually able to hike to where we were on top of the lava flow and what a view.



     Yes, that is Mt. Rainier in the distance.  How cool is that!

     There was also a beautiful meadow on the trail.  I loved how the sun was just lighting up the whole meadow.



     So on the long drive back home we, by which I mean Kieko, decided to eat Japanese food when we got back.  OK, I was in complete agreement with it, so we went to Miyabi's in Tuckwila.  This place is pretty good and they do a wonderful job on the rolls.


           The rainbow roll was just what we were wanting as it had a variety of fish wrapped around the rice. 

     Then there was the geoduck butter.  Geoduck sauteed in a butter sauce and served in the clam shell.  Now this is comfort food.

     And then there is my new favorite thing in the world. The Uni Shot!  The Uni Shot is Uni (Sea Urchin) with a single raw quail's egg. 


     How good does that look?  It is soo good, I could eat this everyday.

     However, I must cook as well, and it can't be all sushi.  Tonight at Kieko's request I made some paella with clams and bay scallops.  It turned out pretty good, but next time I think I will add some shrimp, squid, and maybe rabbit as well.


     Trust me, it tasted better than it looks. 

     That's all for now.  I'll see ya soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment