Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mt. St. Helens via Norway Pass

     I have discovered why it is so worth a three hour drive to go hiking.  Whenever I go to Mt. Rainier National Park there is always a million people there trying to hike the same trail that I was planning on hiking.  It can be very frustrating and annoying as I am trying to get away from people and they end up at the same place as me.  I understand why, I just want to be on a trail with less people. 

     Yesterday we discovered a place where there are limited run ins with my fellow hikers.  Well, I should say Kieko discovered this place. As with our trip to Mt. Adams, we had to drive about three hours mostly along mountain highways and U.S. Forest Service roads.  Unlike last time however, all of the U.S.F.S. roads were paved.  When I say paved I really mean there is asphalt but it will probably wash away during the next rainstorm.  Hmmm, maybe time to invest in a horse.  Anyway, yesterday's adventure took us to the incomprable Mt. St. Helens.

     We started our adventure at 8:00 am.  Yes, on a Saturday morning!  So we headed out to Randle, WA via Eatonville, Elbe, and Morton.  Once in Randle, we started down Hwy 131 for a couple of miles until we hit the forest service roads.  Driving along USFS roads you really have to keep a look out for the roads you are looking for as they can sneak up on you in a hurry.  F.S. 25 is very forested and as such the lighting doesn't help.  F.S. road 99 was well marked and nice and curvy like a mountain road should be.  FS road 26 was marked but again we were looking closely for it.  By this time we are out of the forest and among the devastation left by St. Helens.  There are no big trees.

     At the parking lot, there were only three other cars.  That is always a good sign.  We started our hike to Norway Pass and immediately encountered two hunters coming back.  We said "hey" and continued on through the ash laden landscape.  As we are winding our way up the trail we see this massive peak in the distance.  You guessed it, Mt. Rainier.


     Continuing along the trail, looking into the valley below we eventually see Mt. Adams.

     The trail was one of those single track that makes you feel like you're in the wilderness.  I loved it.  Anyway, we continue on and we came to a trail junction.  We went around the bend and found what we came looking for. 

     Yeah, we had the same reaction as well.  However, the picture absolutely does not do it justice.  It was the most amazing moment.  Maybe it was the brisk autumn air along with the sunshine, but I think I have found my new favorite place!

No comments:

Post a Comment