Monday, October 17, 2011

The Dahlia Workshop: Pumpkin Edition

     I love Autumn!  It is my favorite season of the year for many reasons.  I like the cool crisp weather and the colors of the fall foliage (such as it is here in the Northwest.)  I also love the food of the fall harvest.  This is the time of the year when everything is pumpkin spice flavored.  When it's done right it is amazing.  However, far too often it's artificial flavoured.  Tonight was all about natural, local and seasonal flavors, with an Indian (India) influence. Pumpkin with Indian spices and flavors? Oh, you betcha! 

     Tonight we had the distinct pleasure of attending a cooking class at the Tom Douglass owned Dahlia Workshop.  In conjunction with Prosser Farms, run by his wife Jackie, we were able to enjoy the best of the region.  Tonight was all about pumpkin and squash, but mostly pumpkin.


     Our teacher this evening was Dev of both Prosser Farm and Serious Pie.  We were first treated to a squash pizza with Gorgonzola and Walla Walla onions.  So rich and creamy and well Autumn like.  That was just to whet our whistle until the real epiphany came.  First was the pumpkin seed with some toasted spices and honey.  These were pumpkin seeds that I had never tasted before.  A combination of sweet and earthy spices. 


     Next was a tempura delacotta squash, served with a pumpkin ketchup.  Blast it, I didn't get a picture of that.  I can assure you it was delicious.

     My favorite dish of the evening was in fact the Pumpkin Curry.  I mean c'mon, it's curry.  Prepared with japones chilies, mustard seeds and curry leaf.  Along with an onion, garlic, ginger and jalapeno paste.  Next were some tomatoes, and of course pumpkin.  And let's not forget the Garam Masala.  This is a curry that I am going to make as soon as possible.


     This class gave a whole new meaning to my favorite season.  Warm, earthy flavors.  Like I said, I love Autumn!

    

1 comment:

  1. That pumpkin curry sounds divine. Please pass along the recipe!

    Nicholas

    ReplyDelete